The word charcoal is a dead giveaway! Say “charcoal” and the image of the sooty black stuff from your BBQ or the tasteless charry stuff that sticks to burnt food immediately comes to mind. Activated Charcoal is just that, albeit activated, more porous and infinitely more potent!
Activated Charcoal is basically a toxin-sponge that soaks up the bad stuff and carries it out of the body – quickly and effectively. It is so wonderfully effective that the amazing black substance is used in emergency rooms across the world to treat overdoses and poisonings.
Beyond the inherent life-saving properties, its toxin clearing effects also make it a strong favourite with anyone who suffers from a stomach ailment or is in distress with their gut. Think gas, cholesterol, indigestion and more.
But, how does a simple black tablet/powder accomplish this much? What makes it so quick and effective? How can you use it? What are the potential benefits? And, what are the risks?
Let’s tackle these questions, one at a time, and uncover the secret healing powers of Activated Charcoal. Here are 5 things you didn’t know about this incredible substance and you’ll read all about it here in this week’s blog post!
What is Activated Charcoal?
To create Activated Charcoal, woodchips, peat, or coconut shells (or any other carbon-rich materials) are superheated inside a controlled environment. The high-intensity heat activates the charcoal by stripping it of previously absorbed molecules and widening and enhancing the pores.
One spoonful of Activated Charcoal has the surface area of a football field. Whoa!
This odourless tasteless black substance comes in many forms – from tablets and capsules to fine powder and paste. Depending on its use, it is sometimes mixed in with other medicinal, herbal or chemical ingredients as well.
How Does It Work?
Just like the sooty stuff from the burnt food, Activated Charcoal works perfectly.
It simply keeps the stomach from absorbing harmful toxins by binding them and trapping them inside those mega pores. Since the human body cannot absorb or interact with charcoal, it then carries the toxins out through the faeces.
Activated Charcoal is extremely absorbent. It can bind toxins that are dissolved inside stomach fluids and can even extract toxins that are tiny in size.
Some Common Uses
Activated Charcoal finds use in a range of medical, alternate and cosmetic treatments. Here are some common uses:
- If you have oral health complaints, try Activated Charcoal. It can absorb plaque and help whiten the teeth. It even helps restore the PH balance in the mouth. This means fewer cavities and better oral health.
- If you suffer from flatulence and gas, Activated Charcoal may be your answer. It binds well with the gas-causing stuff in food and helps ease discomfort.
- A topical application can help clean the skin and reduce the effects of pollution, ageing and stress. It strips away toxins and soothes damaged skin. From insect bites to athlete’s foot, and acne, it can treat all types of skin ailments.
- Activated Charcoal is a must-have if you suffer from a high cholesterol problem. It can reduce the level of bad cholesterol in the body significantly.
- Activated Charcoal’s ability to combat bacterial, viral, and fungal infections is significant. For this reason, it can be used as a safe and natural preventative and curative measure.
Buying and Storing Activated Charcoal
While buying Activated Charcoal look for a good quality, organic product. The product should have high density and low ash content. It should be packaged and sealed properly and the package must be unopened.
While storing Activated Charcoal, choose a cool dry place that is clean and dust-free. Ensure that the package is sealed properly when you store it.
Taking Activated Charcoal is relatively risk-free and there are no known side effects. However, it is recommended that you talk to your Health Coach before you start.
Activated Charcoal may inhibit and block the action of certain drugs if you are on medication. It can also impact outcomes if you are on a special diet.
I can help you purchase the right product and recommend a good dosage based on your needs. Activated Charcoal is a powerful detoxifying agent that will bring many benefits your way!