A supplements blog post from a Health Coach. Now that is commonplace. But before you think of running away, I have to tell you that this blog post is different.
It is about natural supplements that are found in food sources all around you. When you think about it, maybe you are unknowingly consuming some of these already. But what if you knew about all available options and their hidden benefits? Maybe then you could really work on strengthening your gut.
That is the preface with which I have written this blog post. To introduce foods and materials that are all natural and that will help you build up your gut strength.
Do you know about the gut flora?
One important piece of information that will help tie up everything I am about to tell you – The gut flora.
These are the colonies of billions of tiny bacteria housing in the gut (or the large intestine) that help break down food. Bacteria living in the gut? Really? As shocking as it sounds, it is true. And it is good too. They break the stereotypical image we have of the bad worms and bugs that plague us spreading disease and illness. These little creatures, on the other hand, are actually the ‘good guys’!
They break down food and ease the digestive process. They contribute to our immunity. And they keep the gut healthy and functioning.
There are a variety of supplements in the market today, from the exotic to the readily available. There are brands selling supplements and there are groups of people who have found remedies and cures that are beneficial.
Some supplements are just not to be missed. People who consume alcohol, for example, carry a ‘beer belly’. This is a sure sign of liver malfunction. If ignored it may further complicate matters. Liver detox supplements are a great first step. These supplements help cleanse and revive the liver health.
At the same time, consuming bottled mineral water as a supplement is a wasted exercise. Not only are you adding to the planet’s burden by throwing away plastic bottles, you are spending money on something that is readily available. In states like Western Australia, where essential minerals are introduced into the tap water, taking a drink from the tap is a wiser, more prudent choice.
And finally, a word of caution. When you buy supplements, ensure that you consult with a health professional with experience and knowhow. And if you suffer from particular disorders and diseases, you disclose all critical information that may be of essence while prescribing the right supplements.
The 5 natural Supplements for the gut
Here is a list of 5 natural supplements that you can add to your diet:
- Probiotic: Kafir, yogurt, and milk are rich sources of probiotic bacteria. Since the probiotic bacteria do not breed in the stomach, it is good to consume these food sources daily to improve gut health.
- Prebiotic: Naturally occurring substances in bananas, leeks, onions, garlic and wholegrains like oats, barley and rye are known to trigger the prebiotic effect. Here the gut flora ferments the soluble fibres and resistant starch in these sources. The prebiotic effect is of great value to our gut health.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Consuming apple cider vinegar has been proven to be beneficial to the gut flora. A spoon or two of raw apple cider vinegar taken on an empty stomach, right in the morning is recommended.
- Antioxidants: Blueberries, goji berries, artichokes, pecans and nuts, and kidney beans are some natural foods that have antioxidants. Antioxidants reduce gut irritation and inflammation.
- Enzymes: legumes, tubers, herbs and a variety of other whole foods are good sources of plant enzymes. These enzymes are essential in aiding the digestive processes. They are also rich sources of soluble fibre that support the gut flora.
There are a few additional details that you must keep in mind while working on your gut.
1.Drink plentiful water.
- Exercise and step outside for a brisk walk or a daily dose of the sun.
For those of us who suffer from compromised immunity or health and eating disorders, it is crucial that you consult with a health professional before taking any supplements or altering your diet plan.